"Everyone kept saying 'isn't it wonderful' and all I could think of was no"
Mental Health Support
Speaking with your General Practitioner will enable you to best select the care plan that suits your needs. Your GP will work with a nurse to put you on a mental health care plan and may assist you in finding a specialist. We also strongly suggest word of mouth, speaking with other women either through your mothers’ group or on forums. Ideally your specialist should be an expert in birth trauma.
PTSD treatment information
- Both professional help and appropriate resources are available for you to access.
- Before specific treatment for PTSD or another trauma-related disorder is approved you will require a comprehensive health assessment from your chosen health care professional.
- Treatments include an array of psychological therapies and/or medication.
- According to new research findings, both exercise and self-help therapies like ‘mindfulness’ can also be beneficial in the treatment of trauma. These activities can be safely used in conjunction with psychological therapies and medication.
- Exercise is also beneficial in addressing factors such as sleep difficulties, anxiety, depression and weight gain.
Perhaps the most important thing to understand is that you can get better. Most women suffering from trauma disorders who seek professional help recommence full and satisfying lives both at home and at work.
A combination of physical, psychological and self-help strategies is usually required. This may include online programs.
In the end, it is a matter of finding the combination that works most successfully for you as an individual. Each person reacts differently to symptoms and other factors such as anxiety, so this will naturally influence your choices. It is also a good idea to seek advice from your doctor or mental health professional to ensure the most appropriate treatment to address your symptoms. Sometimes a team approach may be chosen for your situation, and in this case it is vital that one health care professional supervises all aspects of your care.
We recommend the following websites: